Can I Use ActBlue?
What types of organizations can be listed on ActBlue?
We are able to list eligible (see below) federal candidates, political organizations, 501(c)(4) nonprofit organizations, and 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations.
We are also able to work with eligible candidates in all states (except CT) and some local candidates. Billing for some local and state candidates works differently. Check out our Pricing page to see if you’ll need a merchant account.
ActBlue does not endorse or support any candidates or organizations. Rather, we aim to provide a platform for Democratic candidates, progressive organizations, and nonprofits to build small-dollar fundraising programs.
Please see below for guidelines on what types of campaigns and organizations are eligible to use ActBlue. If you are unsure if you qualify, feel free to contact us at email@example.com. ActBlue reserves the right to make decisions about an entity’s access to the platform on a discretionary basis.
A candidate must meet one of the following criteria to be permissible:
- A candidate registered as a Democrat
- A candidate running or filed as a Democrat
- A Democratic write-in candidate provided there is not another registered and properly filed Democrat on the ballot
- An independent or third party candidate running in a race without a Democratic candidate and with an official Democratic Party endorsement
- An independent or third party incumbent that has a proven record of caucusing with Democrats
- Candidate in a nonpartisan race affiliated with Democrats or endorsed by the Democratic Party
A candidate meeting any of the following criteria is impermissible:
- A registered Republican and/or candidate running or filed as a Republican
- A candidate for a partisan office is an independent or undeclared, or a write-in and there is a Democrat(s) running, unless:
- The candidate is running in a multi-seat primary, or
- The candidate is an incumbent and has a proven history of caucusing with Democrats
- Candidate in a nonpartisan race affiliated with the Republican Party
- Any candidate running for foreign, non-U.S., or non-U.S. territory office
Committees, Political Action Committees (PACs), and 501(c)(4) Organizations
Our goal in working with committees, PACS, or other organizations is to help provide tools to groups that are mainly working with Democrats or working to advance any Democratic policy or other progressive outcomes.
A political action committee, party committee, 501(c)(4), or other organization that meets any of the following criteria is impermissible:
- Republican committee, PAC, or organization
- With the exception of primaries, a committee that has been set up solely to oppose one specific Democrat
- Any candidate-focused PAC or organization that spends against the Democratic nominee in a partisan general election
- Any entity or campaign committee that is directly influencing a non-U.S. or U.S. territory election
- Any organization that presents itself as another entity, or otherwise uses the name of a candidate inappropriately
- Any entity that cannot provide sufficient evidence of ongoing efforts to achieve its stated mission or shifts away from the mission that was stated at the time of its onboarding to a practice impermissible for using ActBlue
AB Charities: 501(c)(3) Organizations
All 501(c)(3) organizations are listed at the discretion of AB Charities. AB Charities is open to 501(c)(3) organizations that meet both of the following criteria:
- Engaged in grassroots fundraising
- Their work is not at odds with values including, but not limited to, social equality; women’s rights; LGBTQIA2S+ rights; racial justice; diversity; freedom of speech; disability rights; and respect for scientific inquiry, discovery, and data.
All groups using our platform must be in compliance with our full Account Use Policy.
Is ActBlue active in X state/locality?
We can help state candidates in every state except Connecticut due to their current laws. Here is the large and growing list of localities where we are active. If your city isn’t listed, let us know and we’ll look into it. We can’t make any promises, but hearing from you will help us figure out how to prioritize our work.
Can you help judicial candidates fundraise?
We are not active in judicial races at this time.
Is it possible to get a draft campaign listed on ActBlue?
On a limited basis, draft campaigns for federal candidates can be listed on ActBlue. You can learn more about Draft Funds here. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
I had an ActBlue account in the past and I want to fundraise again, what do I do?
If you need to reactivate an old account or set up a new one please email us at email@example.com, making sure to include “reactivate” in the subject line, and we will be back in touch regarding next steps!