I’m a U.S. citizen living abroad. How can I donate?

Campaign finance law requires that political donors are U.S. citizens or permanent residents. We recognize that many U.S. citizens live overseas, and we want to make giving as accessible as possible for all small-dollar donors. The Federal Election Commission requires political candidates and committees to collect a donor’s U.S. passport number when they provide a foreign address. If you are a donor who lives abroad and you enter a country other than the U.S. when making a contribution on ActBlue, you’ll be prompted to enter a U.S. passport number:

Pink box around passport number field

If you are giving to a nonprofit through AB Charities, which is part of the ActBlue family of organizations, you do not have to give a passport number! You can read more about donating to nonprofits from abroad here.

If you are a U.S. citizen living abroad and you do not have a passport, please contact info@actblue.com for assistance. 

Additional Reading

Search category icon

Why does ActBlue require my personal information for me to donate?

Any contribution made through ActBlue needs to be reported to the appropriate regulatory body, just like any other contribution. This means that we are required by law to collect…